Marzano in Building Background Knowledge (2004) states that there are 6 essential steps in effective vocabulary instruction. 1. The teacher provides a description or explanation rather than a definition.
examples vs. non examples
2. Students restate the explanationin their own words.
3. Students create nonlinguistic representations for the term.
4. Students do a variety of activities to add to their knowledge of the term (multiple exposures).
5. Students are asked to discuss the terms with each other in small groups.
6. Students are periodically involved in games or game-like activities that allow them to play with the vocabulary terms.
Jeopardy (definitions to/from vocab terms)
Fact or Fiction
Remember to choose words that you can get the most "mileage" out of-- multiple meanings, frequent use, shows in other subjects, cognates, etc.